Thursday, August 25, 2011

Commitment..... I Haz It!



When I returned home from the Author's After Dark Convention in Philly, I was determined to make a few changes.  One is making time to write.  Yeah, yeah. We all set word count goals and targets. I did it too. But honestly, when I failed to meet my goal for the day. I gave up. It was like a self-fulling prophesy. Create something that will be impossible to attain consistently -- and when you fail... you'll kick yourself in the butt. Get mad. Give up.


I wanted to change that.

So instead, I did something different.  I granted myself 2-hours per day for writing. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. PERIOD! Before work, after work (at work --shhhh don't tell.) Whatever it takes I was going to write SOMETHING everyday. Doesn't matter if I went to bed at 10pm or 2am. 

I'm happy to say since starting that process, my writing is moving right along. Sometimes I get in a little or a lot. Sometimes I'll just add a new paragraph or do some research. But the point is -- I'm writing. My story lives in my head daily and ideas and dialogue pour out of my fingers when I get in front of my laptop.  I'm loving it.

I know I'm not saying anything new, that hasn't already been said a million times by others. I'm just sharing that daily writing "regardless of how much" is working for ME. Because in the end - I'm the only road block that exists that can stop me from reaching my goal. A finished Novel.

Get your write on!

No comments: